[In]Sight the next generation
In early 2014, the RAI sought feedback and suggestions from stakeholders about the ways to enhance [In]Sight: Australia’s regional competitiveness index. The feedback received included suggestions on ways to improve the methodology, alternative indicators and new website functionality.
The updated version of [In]Sight is being prepared for release in late 2014. It will build on the quality and depth of this unique data source for the nation.
Highlights in the new version of [In]Sight include:
- A suite of nationally consistent indicators on the quality and performance of regional and local institutions providing a range of data never before available in Australia;
- A series of new indicators measuring the economic fundamentals of each region;
- An updated method calculating the distance from every household in a region or local area to key infrastructure and essential services and natural resources;
- A new indicator measuring the presence of proven mineral resources in each area and a new water resources indicator;
- New measures for technological readiness including NBN and mobile phone coverage and new indicators on patents and business startups to better measure innovation;
- A new theme on demography to replace the existing market size theme to provide new information on population dynamics in each area;
- Updated data on employment, school performance, welfare dependency, research organisations and income from own businesses will also be provided;
The RAI will also implement a new robustness process to reduce the impact of outliers and other data anomalies on [In]Sight results.
The online tool will be updated to provide trend data and a new regional analyser tool is being developed to provide tailored regional reporting.
To see the full report including a summary of feedback and responses from the RAI click here.