Limestone Coast Pathfinder
Headline growth in the Limestone Coast area of South East South Australia has been flat after a period of relatively stable growth. To maintain its vibrant and diverse regional economy, the Limestone Coast needed to make a substantial and energised effort to reinvigorate the economy from a fairly stagnant base.
Working with the seven member councils of the Limestone Coast Local Government Association (LCLGA) and RDA Limestone Coast, the RAI developed the Limestone Coast Regional Growth Strategy and Action Plan.
The Strategy highlights that a well-coordinated, collaborative, and strategically focused effort can set the Limestone Coast region on the path to deliver a 20 percent lift in economic performance, adding $700 million in growth annually and more than 5,700 new jobs by 2026. It provides the evidence base, priority areas for focus, strategic directions, and potential actions required to give leaders confidence setting off on a path together towards a brighter economic future.
These priorities include:
- Invigorate the working age population, by attracting and retaining more people across the region to fill key skills gaps and support vibrant and sustainable regional communities;
- Building on the region’s competitive advantage in agribusiness;
- Capturing employment opportunities in growing sectors like healthcare and social assistance;
- Supporting the development of a vibrant business ecosystem;
- Region-wide collaboration to develop a more coordinated tourism market; and
- Securing investment to deliver regional infrastructure priorities enabling growth.
The Strategy, Action Plan and Technical Report were adopted unanimously by the LCLGA Board on Friday 15 June 2018, and implementation has now commenced.